|Home||Pepsi's Story||Max's Story||Pepsi Pics||Max Pics||Puppy Pics||Puppies Story||Cavalier info|
|Baby's Story||Baby's Pics||Caique info||Information||Awards won||Award Apply||Award Winners||Gifts|
|Family Album||Fun Stuff||Baywood Buddies||All Together!||Celebrity Cavs||About Baywood||Aase Creations||Critters|
Call your veterinarian or veterinary emergency clinic immediately.
Making sure that you have the following information at hand :
Exact name of toxin ingested, inhaled, or absorbed
Approximately how much of the toxin was ingested
How long ago you suspect that your pet may have been poisoned
Approximate weight of your pet
What signs your pet is showing
vomiting, tremors, salivation, etc., and general observations , such as color of the gums (capillary refill time), respiratory rate, heart rate, and if possible, body temperature
Many common foods are actually harmful or even fatal to dogs. Some of these (listed below) will surprise you. Others are things you would never give your dog purposefully, but now you will be more careful to not let them be in your dog's reach. And some just need to be limited to small amounts.
Avocados (fruit, pip, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.
Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives - raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.
Garlic in large amounts cause the same problems as onions.
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.
Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)
Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.
Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.
Xylitol Diet products containing the sweetener can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.
Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are usually temporary.
Walnuts are poisonous to dogs, a type of fungus common to walnuts (especially wet deadfall walnuts) will cause severe episodes of seizuring.
Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Bakerís chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
Apple seeds, cherry pips, peach pips, pear pips, plum pips, peaches and apricot pips contain cyanide, which is poisonous.
Salt in high amounts can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly.
Fat or fried foods can cause pancreatitis.
Ham and bacon contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat. This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death.
Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three servings a week) can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can cause deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia. Check the label of your canned dog food to be sure that it does not contain liver if you are giving your dog liver also.
Wild mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma, or death.
Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dogís growth and coat health. The lack of it can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity. Raw egg yolks contain enough biotin to prevent the deficiency, so this is not a problem with raw whole eggs. Raw egg yolks could contain salmonella, so you should get your eggs from a reliable source or cook the eggs.
Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dogís diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.
Cooked bones can splinter and tear a dogís internal organs.
Some Vegetables are undigestable (green beans, sweetcorn, lettuce, potatoes or yams) whole or in large pieces,
carrots (we have removed carrots from the list due to conflicting information, we have found that over 90% of our visitors have had no problems feeding carrots), Potato peels and green potatoes are dangerous.
Dairy products are high in fat, which can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. A small amount of non-fat, plain yogurt is usually safe.
Pennies/Coins made from the 1980s todate contain zinc, which can cause kidney failure and damage to red blood cells. A dog that consumes even one penny can become quite sick, or even die, if the penny is not removed.
Some plants have to be chewed and swallowed to make the pet sick, others, such as the dieffenbachia, simply have to come in contact with your pet's mouth, tongue or throat to cause a reaction. Treatment for caustic burns in the mouth depends on whether the plant is acidic or not. Again, identify the plant and talk to your veterinarian.
|Apple (stem and leaves)||shock, mouth inflammation, rapid increase in breathing|
|Yew (American, English, Western)||Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain|
|Apricot||Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain|
|Almond||Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain|
|Peach||Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain|
|Wild Cherry||Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain|
|Japanese Plum||Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain|
|Ficus (Cuban Laurel)||stomach upset|
|Cherry||rapid breathing, shock, mouth inflammation, heart rate increase|
|Balsam Pear||Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain|
|Ficus Lyrata (Fiddle-Leaf)||stomach upset, irritated skin|
|Philodendron (Devil's Ivy)||upset stomach, convulsions, asphyxiation, death|
|English Ivy||stomach upset, hyperactivity, laboured breath, drooling, Fever, thirst increase, pupil dilation, staggering|
|Vine||pupil dilation, upset stomach, drooling, heart failure|
|Matrimony Vine||varied effects|
|Virginia Creeper||Ingesting any part of the vine (except the fruit), however, can cause vomiting, nausea, stomach ache, headache and, in severe cases, even kidney damage.|
|Asparagus Fern||vomiting, respiratory problems, kidney failure, tremours, abdominal pain|
|Caladium||mouth irritation, stomach upset, asphyxiation, tremours, seizures, death|
|Colocasia (Elephant's Ear)||mouth irritation, stomach upset, asphyxiation, tremours, seizures, death|
|Deiffenbachia (Dumb Cane)||mouth irritation, stomach upset, asphyxiation, tremours, seizures, death|
|Philodendron (Saddle Leaf, Split Leaf)||Mouth swelling, irritation|
|Poinsetta||mouth irritation, stomach upset|
|Mum (Pot and Spider)||Skin irritation|
|Umbrella Plant||vomiting, respiratory problems, kidney failure, tremours, abdominal pain|
|Mistletoe||Diarrhea, vomiting, shock and death within hours of ingestion.|
|Amaryllis||stomach upset, lethargy, shock, death|
|Crocus||stomach upset, liver failure, lethargy, shock, death|
|Calla Lily||stomach upset, mouth irritation, asphyxiation, seizures, Death|
|Christmas Rose||stomach upset, diarhea, convulsions|
|Daffodil (bulb)||stomach upset, tremours, seizures, lethargy, heart Failure, Death|
|Easter Lily||stomach upset, kidney failure|
|Foxglove||stomach upset, tremours, seizures, lethargy, heart Failure, Death|
|Hyacinth (bulb)||varied effects, see Tulip below|
|Iris (root)||stomach upset|
|Jessamine||seizures, respiratory failure|
|Morning Glory||stomach upset, hallucinations|
|Narcissus||stomach upset, staggering, tremours, seizures, heart failure, death|
|Peony||stomach upset, staggering, tremours, seizures, heart failure, death|
|Poinsetta||stomach upset, mouth irritation|
|Tulip (bulb)||Can cause gastric irritation and sometimes central nervous system excitement followed by coma, and, in severe cases even death.|
|Lillies||These plants can cause irreversible kidney damage.|